*Renew * Rebuild * Revamp* Redo*

With a few thrift store treasures and some basic sewing skills, you can create original one of a kind additions to your wardrobe, unique gifts, beautiful handbags, adorable hats or anything else that tickles your fancy.
I love hitting up my local thrift stores looking for treasures. They are fun to explore and often help spawn new ideas and inspiration for projects. Reusing once loved goods is one more way to help our planet stay clean. When thrifting always make sure to bring along a friend, the more eyes the merrier!

-CAUGHT DEAD THREADS*

Monday, September 27, 2010

What to do with unloved clothing






When clothing becomes unwanted, consumers have several options for disposal. These options include: recycling the item by transforming it into something new, throwing it away, using it as rags, giving it away to a charity organization or other family members, or reselling it through the internet or in yard sales.
Many treasures can be found hidden within thrift stores. With a keen eye, a little time and some basic sewing know how, most any garment can be transformed from dull and boring into something new and exciting.
These are the before photos of three thrift store dresses that were my first attempts at creating face lift fashions. As I continue to explore and create I will track my progress here.




















Here I took the existing animal print dress, shortened the hem, cut off the collar and shoulder pads then removed the sleeves. I added black trim to the neckline and used the tan linen dress to create a wrap to compliment it.




















This is the front and back view of the plaid dress. I cut off the entire top portion and remade it from an old pair of jeans. I shortened the hem and added a little flower detail on the front. I used a portion of the jeans waistband to cinch the back of the dress and reused the jean pockets as well.

So the remakes may not be totally fabulous, but they are an improvement from before and I did wear the plaid number here to a recent event.

No comments:

Post a Comment